"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather the moments that take our breath away."

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kamrie's Story

Every time I look at this picture I cringe thinking of how bad it could have been, but then I have to smile because even though she has been through a "storm" my baby is still smiling, not because I told her to but because that is who she is.

Just to remember the story I'm going to put the details but it may bore you so feel free to move on.
Avery's Birthday was on Saturday and I had everything readyexcept the thing that I always forget, Ice Cream. As I quickly finished decorating the cake and putting up balloons while listening to General Conference, before we headed out for our round of Saturday soccer, Brady took the kids and ran to Target. He picked up a few things and was headed back to the frozen section for the ice cream, all three kids were sitting on the bench seats they have on the Target carts now. Kamrie was in her soccer gear already and because she was getting cold she tucked her arms and legs in her shirt to keep warm. As Brady stopped the cart she had nothing to brace herself and tipped off the bench face first, landing on the hard floor. He scooped her up knowing from the sound that it was a big one and tried to continue on his way. One man stopped him saying her nose was bleeding, so they headed to the bathroom. He wiped her off and with his level head was able to check out before taking her to the car. While in the car he called and asked if I could get some Motrin and an ice pack ready. I consented but wasn't quite ready for what I saw when they walked in. Her head was huge and already blue from her hairline all the way past her eye. I am the less rational one and thought we should head to the Dr. immediately, but Brady checked her eyes and responsiveness and thought she would be okay to ice it and lie down for a while. I held her while she cried until the Motrin kicked in. She was a trooper but there was no getting around the fact that it just hurt! Brady busied around getting things ready for Caden's soccer game and Kamrie started feeling better so we headed out to watch her team play. Once we were there she assured us she could play and since Brady helps coach, I told him to keep his eye on her and make sure she was okay. She ended up playing, though she was quite a bit slower than normal, and even scored one or two goals. I still think we were a little crazy to let her but Brady seemed pretty sure she would be fine. The rest of the day she seemed normal and didn't complain of any more pain until she was in bed trying to fall asleep for the night.
Avery had a check-up with the Dr. on Monday so I had him check it then...there was still a lot of swelling but from what he could see, he thought the bone structure looked okay. It turned lots of colors and still isn't completely back to normal even 4 weeks later. It was quite an experience but I'm so glad things weren't worse.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am glad she is okay. I know how you feel. It is just a terryifying thing to know a simple fall could change everything. Yet it happens all the time and kids just bounce back. I am so grateful for our bodies ability to heal. When the same thing happened to Huds I did run right to the doctor but in the end and two black eyes later he is back to his normal self. So glad it all turned out okay.

Unknown said...

Poor girl! She is sure a cute one for sure!

Veronica said...

Oh my poor girl. She is a tough little girl, wanting to go play soccer after that, wow. Thank goodness for dads and their calmness sometimes. I would have freaked out.