"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather the moments that take our breath away."

Monday, May 5, 2008

The "Mini" Recap

I DID IT!!! Saturday was the day...we got up bright and early, (about 5:30 a.m.) got ready, and made our way downtown despite all the road closers. We had a little setback because we forgot our dental school parking pass so we had to search for a parking place, but we finally parked and started our warm up walk/jog to the starting line where we met up with the other 35,000+ participants. I was placed in Corral X, which was really far from the starting line so we didn't actually start the race until about 30 minutes into it. Once we actually crossed the starting line we had to do a lot of weaving in and out of people because we had started back with the "walkers." Because of all the weaving, our first mile took us longer than ever but once we passed a bunch of people we were able to settle into a better pace for ourselves. There were bands by the side of the road playing all kinds of tunes, people lining the streets cheering everyone on, and even kids standing with their hands outstreached waiting for a high 5. These little highlights and more made the race so memorable. Just after starting mile 6 we entered the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (for those of you who don't know, this is where the famous Indy 500 and NASCAR Brickyard Race take place). The track (speedway) seemed to last forever but we made it out and had just under 5 miles left. Things were going great and then I hit the wall...at mile 11 I hit a point where it seemed like every step was an eternity. I kept looking for the "12" mile marker and it seemed to be avoiding me. I ran for what seemed like days when I finally saw it in the distance I thought to myself, "Only 1.1 miles left I can do that, no problem." It was totally a mental struggle for the rest of the race. My body kept wanting to stop but my mind continued to override that desire. When there was about 1/2 mile left I gave myself a few seconds to walk, I was worried I wouldn't get going again but I did and Iwas surprised when I had enough energy to sprint (at least the closest thing you can do to sprining after runing 13 miles) the last 1/4mi. When I saw the finish line I can't explain the flood of excitment that ran through me. After crossing the finish line there are tons of volunteers handing out bottles of water, medals, bananas, apples, chips, gatoraide, and cookies. They dote on you, tell you great job and congrats, and make you feel like a million bucks. After that you get to go to the family reunion area to meet your family. This was definitely a highlight for me...As soon as I came through the gate my amazing husband and beautiful kids were standing there with flowers and open arms. It was so great to have them there and feel the excitment they felt for me. I loved this experience. Although at times I haven't always looked forward to the training, I loved it. I loved the anticipation building up to the big day, I loved the actual race, between mile 11 and 12 I wanted to die, but I loved it. I am so amazed at what your body can do when you train it and I'm even more amazed that I was able to do it. It is not just something I hear about anymore It is real for me. All of you that told me you are thinking about doing this...DO IT! I couldn't be more excited for those of you that are training, you will love it. Oh, I almost forgot, of course all of you I'm sure want to know how I finished...well I am proud to say that I came in 7225 place. Okay so that makes it sound bad but my goal was to finish in under 2 hours and I did it...my final time was 1:58:18. Here are some pictures of the big day.

The Finish Line before the heards started crossing.



Caden and Kamrie watching and waiting for me to run by.

The moment they had been waiting for. Brady said he actually got a little motion sick scanning all the heads as people ran by.



A couple of us from the dental group that ran, after the race. There were actually quite a few of us...I wish I had a picture with everyone in it.

My training partner and friend Aimee and I just after finishing.

I guess there are pictures taken as you actually cross the finish line but they aren't up on the website yet so I will have to post them (if I can) when they are up.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job Rebecca! :) That sounds like a lot of fun! What a fun experience to always remember!

ANDY and MANDY said...

GREAT JOB! I HOPE IT WAS ALL YOU WANTED IT TO BE.

Veronica said...

Awsome, Awesome Job. I kind got teary eyed when you talked about the "family reunioun" area and seeing your kids there. I bet it was so great. I have been checking your blog since sat to see if you had posted about it. Congrats on finishing and under 2 hours holy cow.

Laura said...

Amazing!! Wow! I am in awe of you and others who have the drive to take on something like this.
Congrats on doing so well!

Kris said...

I'm glad it was a success! I watched the news coverage and tried to look for people I knew. Way to suck it up at the last couple of miles, that is awesome! I don't think I could have done that.
So I really do want to start working out and I'm trying to get myself up earlier each day so that I can work myself up to 5am. I need some sort of motivation :)
Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Daughter!!! You sure have the kind of drive to become the best you can be! That was such a HUGE accomplishment!! We are all so proud of you!
We love you,
Connie

Harris said...

Hey, this is RaKae (Carrie's sister), I just came across your blog and saw your mini-marathon!! That is so awesome, reading your post made me way excited to do one!! I have been running since I started college and LOVE it and wanted to do a half-marathon for a while now...and after looking at your post totally motivated me!! I will have to wait until after I have this baby and then I will have to start training. That is so awesome!! Congrats, really just getting through is reward enough!! Good job!!

Melanie said...

So proud of you!!! I don't know if I will ever be able to do it under 2 hours, but I am signing up for the mini next year! Once again, nice job!

Unknown said...

Becky!!! I am so proud of you! I know I wouldn't be able to make it 20 feet without collapsing! LOL! I hope I get to come to Mal's wedding in June so I can see you! add me to your friens list:justinlindsaycharlee.blogspot.com!!! LOVE YA

attack of The Mouse said...

Congradulations. It is a huge accopmlishment. I did a 1/2 marathon once upon a time and I felt like a million bucks when I was done. It really does rock. I had a hard time when it was over getting motivated to run, because I had nothing to run for. Goals are the best.

Mallory Stuecklen said...

Great job im very proud of you!!!

Ashley and Cody said...

Good Job! You and Aimee look so cute. I'm glad you enjoyed it and you did awesome for your first mini.

The Pruitts said...

Way to go Rebecca!! That is awesome!! I totally want to run a marathon before I die and reading your post makes me want to even more(except the part about wanting to die!) I'll have to tell Jake that you did a mini marathon, and get him to start believing that I can do one too, then start training. Did it make you want to run a full marathon, or did it make you think you NEVER want to run a full marathon? What a great accomplishment!!

The Terrell Family said...

Congrats! Wish I could have been there to WATCH =) What a huge accomplishment.

Charity Smith said...

Oh Becky I am so proud of you! You are so awesome!! Your proof dreams do come true!!

Carrie said...

That's so awesome Becky! Thanks for sharing all the details. . .it proves it's such a mental thing along with all the training and being physically fit- you look great!!

Laura said...

I just read your story about Kamrie climbing out of her crib--I laughed and laughed and prayed that Ellie doesn't ever learn to do that. (Although I think she is getting close. *sigh*)

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

I was thinking about you last Saturday knowing that it was your big day.

It sounds like you did great! This makes me anxious for August. My old knee injury from high school might just put a huge damper on that day for me though....it has been acting up again and I have to get clearance before I can train heavy again.

I hope you are so proud of yourself. What a huge accomplishment!

Mandy Curtis said...

So proud of you! Happy Mothers Day!

Chelsee Joy said...

Wow! U are amazing...I would probably die. Congrats! YOur babies are getting big. Happy MOther's Day

Jayson & Carrie said...

Way to go Becky!! I'm proud of you! And you look fabulous...I'm pretty sure they couldn't have been taken right after the race... :) Good for you Beck!

The Wilsons said...

Will you ask Aimee if her maiden name is Bush? I'm pretty sure I know her. I have now tried twice to sign up for my half marathon and it's just not working for me. I will try yet again tomorrow and I'm way excited for it to come. What training did you do and do you recommend it? I've seen so many different ways to train.

Rebecca said...

stacie, i don't know how to comment on your blog so i will just leave a response here and hope you find it. this is they aimee you know...i have talked to her about it before. keep trying to sign up for you marathon...i hope it works. i didn't sign up with enough time to really train the way that i should have but i found a training schedule online that gave me a pretty good idea what i should shoot for. it was on marathonrookie.com so look there and see what you think.

Stacey said...

How funny, the first time I saw the picture she looked familiar but I couldn't place it. Then it came to me the next time when I went to post on your blog. Tell her hello for me. Is her husband going to school too? To post on my blog you have to click on the post title itself and you can post at the bottom of it. It's kinda dumb but it just doesn't work the other way for some reason. I have that training from marathonrookie.com. It's the one I was planning on doing. I did get signed up for it and am way excited.

ChaChaCha said...

awesome job!!! that is so amazing....maybe someday for me, but what an accomplishment, you should be very proud!

Unknown said...

I hope I can come! I dunno at this point, I am pretty poor. :( But I will try my darndest! Love ya!

Unknown said...

I hope I can come! I dunno at this point, I am pretty poor. :( But I will try my darndest! Love ya!

TORI, SHAD, AND TY said...

Wow! Good Job! What a great accomplishment!

Erik, Mandi, & Matix said...

HOLY COW! Good job Becky!