"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather the moments that take our breath away."

Monday, March 24, 2008

Somewhere Between Ambitious and Crazy

So I have been having an internal struggle for a while now and have just come to a decision and was hoping you all could tell me where exactly I fit...am I ambitious or crazy. You see there is a mini-marathon (13.1 miles) here that is part of the festivities for the Indy 500 race and each year some of the dental students run it. When we first moved here I thought they were crazy and then I started thinking maybe they were just ambitious. Well, this year I started to catch the fever! It wasn't quite as bad as it could be as I told myself that I would maybe run it next year since it will be our last year in Indy. However, some of my friends signed up and the fever has gotten worse and worse. Recently I started thinking that maybe I would put an add on Craig's list and try to buy someone's registration since the event sold out in November. The race is getting closer and I considered that I might just be wishing I had signed up just because it is somewhat impossible now. Most people have been training since January and I would be really behind and remember the event is sold out. So I mentioned that I was considering Craig's list to a friend and be careful what you wish for because later that day I got a call from another friend who had signed up saying she had to have surgery and was looking for someone to buy her registration. Now I have to make a real decision. Do I do it now when I have the chance even though I will be behind in my training or do I wait for next year and see if this temporary burst of insanity goes away? I need help...is it ambition I am feeling or just simple craziness. Tell me what you think.

12 comments:

Krista said...

Do it!! Absolutely do it. I just finished my first half marathon and it was awesome! You'll love yourself for it. And do it BOTH times- do it this year, sure you're behind in your training but make this year's goal just to FINISH 13.1 miles, and then for next year you can get all the training in and make it your goal to beat this years time. Seriously, I think you are awesome and I can't wait to hear all about it!!

Jayson & Carrie said...

I say go for it! There is one in Boise that I want to run this year...but I haven't ran since before Olivia was born! Let's both be behind this year! :) I'm sure you are in much better shape than I am anyways! You go girl!

Jami said...

I also think you should do it. What a great accomplishment it would be. Now as for myself there is no way I could do it so I'm proud of anyone else that does.
My brother is actually here training for the olympics in diving. He went to the last one in Athens. It worked out kinda nice for me, that we ended up here with him. Unfortunately, he'll probably be moving this Oct. after the olympics are over.

Stacey said...

You should totally do it. This is the best time because maybe you'll be pregnant for the next one or whatever. I hear it's an amazing feeling. I think I'm going to do one this summer too. We can encourage each other.

ANDY and MANDY said...

BECKY I THINK 13.1 MILES IS TOO FAR TO DRIVE !! BUT YOU HAVE THE DRIVE SO IF YOY WANT TO YOU SHOULD. I WILL BE CHEERING YOU ON FROM THE COUCH BECAUSE YOU KNOW ME I HATE TO EXERCISE. LOVE YA MANDA

Naomi said...

Go for it! I know you can do it - and it will feel so good when it is over. :)

Charity Smith said...

You can do it Becky!! Make all the memories in Indy you can cuz if you don't someday you will regret it!!

Stefani said...

Go for it. Who knows what next year will bring. You know you will regret it if you don't.

Anonymous said...

I say "GO for it!"

Veronica said...

Heck ya, do it. There are always to many what if's. I agree with the comment that was made that you should do it this year and next year. You are in stinking good shape, go for it.

Ashley and Cody said...

I'm so excited you are going to do it!! I'm glad I can give up my ticket to you, and I know you will do awesome!!

Lindy said...

Ummm...ambitious AND crazy!!! You go girl!